The body needs all essential nutrients each day so that it can function well, repair, replace and build the body tissues and muscles, give the body energy and help in fighting infections and diseases. However, most people don’t get enough nutrients from their diet because of their eating habits, or they live in places that getting a particular kind of food is difficult to find. That is why it is recommended for them to take dietary supplements. A dietary supplement is meant to provide the body with nutrients that may not have been consumed in sufficient amounts. Most people take different types of nutrient supplements, and one of them is calcium.
Calcium is very important in the body as it necessary for the function of the nerves, cells, bones, and muscles. The recommended daily intake is not more than 1,000mg per day. It is needed for the development of strong teeth and bones, and if there is no enough calcium in the blood the body to perform its function, the body picks calcium from the bones hence weakening them. Lack of sufficient calcium in the body is very dangerous to the body that is why you have to take supplements to top up.
The chewable calcium is a supplement that has the required calcium mineral levels that the body needs. Most of them contain Vitamin D so that there is the healthy formation of bone tissues as it regulates the absorption of calcium in the intestines. The chewable calcium is recommended mostly for:
- Women, especially those in menopause age because the process of bone loss begin at the age of 35 so the calcium will help in the growth and development of bones.
- Pregnant women or nursing or at premenstrual age
- People with high cholesterol levels or high blood pressure
- People who take drinks with high caffeine content or too much coffee
- People on drugs such as corticosteroids,
- Children and adolescents who are not getting enough calcium
The benefits of taking the chewable calcium are:
- It will restore the calcium balance in the body and keep it in the correct levels that are needed for the metabolic process.
- It reduces the risk of getting osteoporosis, which is characterized by, increased fragility of bones which leads to fractures and posture problem.
- Preventing conditions that are caused by calcium deficiency such as osteomalacia/ rickets, and also they strengthen the musculoskeletal system
- It reduces the chances of getting hypoparathyroidism by increasing the activity of the parathyroid gland
Chewable calcium is taken at least one tablet twice a day after taking your meals, or the dosage can change according to doctor’s prescription. They are easy to use and can be carried easily to work or as you travel. They have a sweet taste so you will not have a bitter after taste after taking them and if you have difficulty in swallowing then this is the perfect solution.
It is important to take the right dosage to avoid adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting, mood changes, loss of weight, headache and body weakness.